Wednesday, May 6, 2009

MONDO VISION

okay, thank you god for returning me from Modesto safely. It was fucked up. I planned to go to Santa Rosa today but I feel a little under the weather and the idea of driving any more makes me want to ralph. I wanted to let everyone know that MONDO VISION is fucking cool. It's a video zine all about the bay area punk scene, and it documents it in such a good way. I've felt for a long time that people like us have something strong and weird inside that makes us different, able to combine things and experiences in a way that has never happened before. We seem to be more influenced by our childhoods. Driving through the hills yesterday I was looking at the light and it reminded me of the dreamy scenes in I- Spy books that I got so lost in. My inspiration for everything I make is purely Pee Wee Herman, Lynda Barry comics, I spy Books and the Set Design for Beetlejuice. We're so wrapped up in what it is we make and participate in that we might not even see how much we make history. I've met so many weird interesting people in my life and they all just kind of slip into the voidy soup of my brain, but It doesn't necessarily get spit back out into anything. Mondo Vision is doing it in style. I don't know anything about video editing but I know I like this, and it really does read like a zine, the creator did a fucking great job of translating. I feel like I'm only on the fringe of punk culture but watching this video zine was so exciting, to see so many people I recognized talking about familiar stuff that seems both totally bizarre and totally everyday. What's great is that I have felt so many times like I was involved in something that seemed to have legs, and Mondo Vision validates that, it is excactly what I see. It makes me want to be more involved in documenting this crazy fucked up culture that I'm so attracted to. It was like looking into a mirror for the first time. Thanks Mondo Vision.

Mondo Vision Episode Four from Mondo Vision on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Nanarb Yenid said...

i like this post. pee wee, i spy, beetlejuice--- a few important factors that have significantly shaped my world-view. hey bianca? i want to ask you, would you like to be a part of a collaborative blog that im trying to get started? you can post whatever you like and i think it might be a great way to FEED OFF OF one another. WANT TO LOOK YOUNG? BE AN ARTIST.
http://wanttolookyoung.blogspot.com/
i'll email you the username and password if you're interested.

volcanoland said...

FUCK yes!!!!!!! so glad you agree with me about these things, it was something about the light, like the light of a diorama. email me that password honey.